Thursday, July 21, 2011

Comic Con: What to do


I don't know how Comic Con works, but it seems like a shame to me to come to San Diego and spend all of your time inside!

One of my favorite hobbies when I lived in San Diego was kayaking. While I've taken plenty of lessons and classes, it's easy even if it's your first time out. I've kayaked in Mission Bay and the Pacific Ocean, but I really can't say enough awesome things about La Jolla Cove. You get an opportunity to gawk at beautiful homes and the wild life comes right up to your boat. I've spotted plenty of sea lions, dolphins, and leopard sharks. And if the weather is right you may get a chance to go into some of the caves. I've gone through La Jolla Kayak and really enjoyed it, but I recommend looking around for whatever the best deal is.

Balboa Park probably deserves a post of its own. It's truly the jewel of San Diego. You could easily spend an entire afternoon walking around, only admiring the architecture. I'm a huge Shakespeare nerd so I recommend visiting The Old Globe. They're currently preforming Much Ado About Nothing, Amadeus, and The Tempest. Every Sunday, the  House of Pacific Relations has a lawn program and all of the International Cottages are open. This was one of my favorite things to do when I lived in San Diego as free food was involved (although I did give donations). Each cottage is decorated like a traditional home around the world and there's volunteers eager to teach you about their history and give you a snack. There are a ton of museums in the park. Obviously there's the San Diego Zoo, but there's also the Reuben H Fleet Science Center, San Diego Air & Space Museum, San Diego Automotive Museum, SD Museum of Man, the SD Museum of Natural History, and many more. The Timken is a free art museum if you feel like doing something cultural without spending more money.

Old Town San Diego is super touristy but somehow I was always happy to go anytime there was a tourist around or I just wanted to play tourist. It's mostly filled with shops and smaller museums, and of course Mexican food.

Another very touristy spot worth checking out is Seaport Village. It's actually an easy walk from the convention center. One of my favorite lazy afternoon activities was sneaking into the hotel pools next to the convention center and then walking around Seaport Village. There are a lot of smaller shops, the only one worth mentioning is Upstart Crow (have I mentioned my love for Shakespeare!?). Mostly it's just a good spot to enjoy San Diego's weather and walk along the bay, taking in views of Coronado.

No comments:

Post a Comment