Thursday, July 21, 2011

Comic Con: Getting Around

I'm in my hometown of Sacramento for the summer, but I've spent the last four years living in San Diego... so I'm kind of an expert on the city. Or at least more of an expert than 95% percent of the people writing guides about Comic Con. I've never been to Comic Con, so this is a guide on the city and what to do when you're not at the convention center.

Getting Around:


San Diego is a car city but I've managed to survive for four years without a car. If you're flying into San Diego and hesitant to rent a car I beg you to not limit yourself the area around the convention center known as the gaslamp. Really, if you've got a car it's even more of a reason not to spend too much time in the Gaslamp. I've managed to spend $24 on parking less than two hours in the Gaslamp.The public transportation system is fairly reliable and will take you pretty much where you need to go. You can buy one day passes ($5) on any bus, or a two, three, or four day pass ($9, $12, and $15 dollars respectively) at trolley stops.

The trolley makes it super easy with the special event red line train, but I recommend the bus system as well. From the convention center it is super easy to catch the 2 (to South Park and North Park), 3 (Bankers Hill and Hillcrest), 7 (Balboa Park, Hillcrest, North Park, City Heights, my old apartment, La Mesa), 11 (Bankers Hill, Hillcrest, Normal Heights, and Kensington), 15 (an express bus though Hillcrest, North Park, City Heights, and the College Area), 30 (Pacific Beach, La Jolla, and UCSD), 50 (weekdays only: Clairemont and UTC), 120 (Hillcrest, Fashion Valley, Linda Vista, Kearny Mesa), 150 (weekdays only: Old Town, UCSD, UTC), 923 (Airport, Point Loma, Ocean Beach), and 992 (Airport).

No comments:

Post a Comment